Pet Friendly Homes for Sale
Is Your Home ‘Pet Friendly’?
One of the many benefits of owning your own home is the freedom to find your ‘furever’ friend. By pointing out the aspects of your home that make it ‘pet-friendly’, you’ll attract these buyers rather than alienate the 61% of American households that have a pet!
Whether a dog person, a cat person, or someone who prefers the company of a different pet, 99% of pet owners say they consider their animal to be family. When buying a home, 95% of animal owners believe it is important that a housing community allows animals.A recent study by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) revealed there are many aspects of the home buying, selling and owning experience that have been greatly impacted by American’s love for their animals.
NAR’s President William E. Brown shed some light on the impact of pet owners and their home search:
“In 2016, 61 percent of U.S. households either have a pet or plan to get one in the future, so it is important to understand the unique needs and wants of animal owners when it comes to homeownership.
REALTORS® understand that when someone buys a home, they are buying it with the needs of their whole family in mind; ask pet owners, and they will enthusiastically agree that their animals are part of their family.”
The Power of Pets When Choosing the Right Home
- 89% of pet owners say they would not give up their pet due to a housing restriction
- 81% of Americans say their pets play a role in their housing situation
- 31% of animal owners have refused to put in an offer on a home because it wasn’t a good fit for their animals
- 19% of Americans say they would consider moving for their pet
- 12% percent have moved for their pet
According to Builder.com, new home builders have actually begun installing retractable pet gates that tuck away neatly inside door jams as a highly requested feature in new homes to attract pet loving buyers.
So, if you are a homeowner looking to sell in today’s pet-friendly environment, be sure to point out features of your home that will attract pet owners:
- Fully fenced backyard – (91% of pet owners ranked this as the most important feature of a home to accommodate their pet)
- Locations of dog parks and walking paths (71% ranked this as the top feature of any neighborhood they would consider)
- Proximity to veterinarians/groomers/pet supply stores (31%)
Real Estate Bottom Line
Americans love their pets and will look for pet-friendly amenities in homes they are interested in buying. Take advantage of this knowledge by showcasing your home’s ability to meet this requirement.